For those who own a site promoting their products or simply writing blogs, I assume there are times you consider thinking and generating keywords for SEO.
First, I need to say that since Google has limited their visibility on keywords for Organic Search within Google Analytics, I’ve been using Google Search Console with Tableau to analyze my content’s performance and it’s associated keywords. I definitely get ideas from this to optimize content.
Also what to generate will be based on rather I have covered a particular topic already or not.
From SEO standpoint, you want to use keywords that are more relevant to what users are searching.
You also want to consider choosing the right combination of terms to match the keywords that are searched more than other relevant keywords.
So here is a basic process to use to kick off your list of keywords that are more user-centric.
For this specific example, I will use search terms relating to SEO to come up with possible content ideas and keywords relating to SEO that is relevant and effective.
1) Create a general list of keywords. Perhaps five of them. Let’s call this List-A.
It is advised to start by thinking what your readers or customers are thinking. Try not to come up with terms that are industry specific or too granular. Start off with general terms that associate well with your readers.
You can ask your friends, family, customers, and colleagues. Let’s start with these examples.
2) Do some research!! Then come up with the second list of keywords. Let’s call this List-B.
- Find out what your users are talking or searching about SEO.
- Visit your competitor’s websites: Check their backlinks and keywords they are targeting
- Visits blogs of your industry.
- Check out reviews, comments, and testimonials.
3) Combine the two list Final List = List-A + List-B
4) Analyze the list and come up with keyword matrix
I recommend using Google AdWord Keyword Tool to come up with potential keywords related terms for your SEO strategy.
Now, you have a list of keywords that you could potentially use to better optimize your pages for search. Welcome to SEO!!
Some of the tools that allow you to do research are:
- Google Search Console
- Google AdWords Keywords tool
- For enterprise folks, check out Conductor
Note: Don’t forget to leverage competition and CPC data given in the Google Keywords Tool
Increase Your Website Conversions
Get your FREE cheat sheet: "5 Steps to Building a Profitable Website Using Marketing Technology"